Friday 4 November 2011

Entry 04: DIY Chalk Paint


I found this beauty at the Antique market, just begging for a home. I visited it twice before I decided to pick it up. When I took it home it was in terrible condition, it needed a real cleaning. At the market they had it sitting outside, so it had a little bit of water damage. This is the before...


I sanded down the entire cabinet, I bought a new orbit sander last week...and seriously LOVE it! It's my new favorite thing. For painted furniture project likes this, I prefer to use Behr Premium Plus- It's painter and primer all in one. I painted the first coat with Paris Grey.



The recipe for the chalk paint (not to be confused with chalkboard paint) is very simple. I mixed 1 cup of paint with 2 tbls of Plaster of Paris. The consistency of a thick paste. I then did two coats of paint over the Paris Grey in basic base white. I then took my orbit sander and distressed. When I started to distress it revealed a pink color under the grey, which I think just adds more character.


I am sharing this over at:

Furniture Feature Fridays

3 comments:

  1. Did you put the wax on the Chalk paint after painting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On this project I didn't use wax, I was really happy with the finish after sanding. This sits in my entrance and gets it fair share of use, and so far no scratches or scuffs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cabinet turned out beautifully! Thank you so much for the chalk paint recipe. I am definitely going to try that out.

    ReplyDelete